Fire Chief saves young boy from fiery RV
OLIVER — A young boy is lucky to be alive after the RV he was in caught fire Wednesday afternoon.
It happened at the Centennial Campground in Oliver. The boy was pulled from the flaming vehicle by Oliver Fire Chief Dan Skaros, transported to South Okanagan General Hospital, then taken to a burn unit in the lower mainland.
His injuries are believed to be serious but non-life threatening.
Police and the public are praising the quick action of firefighters.
“This is an unfortunate event that could have been substantially more devastating without the quick response and professionalism of our local fire department” says Sgt. Ken Harrington with the Oliver RCMP.
Witnesses are calling Fire Chief Skaros a hero, but Skaros disagrees, saying “it’s just what I do.”
Fire investigators have confirmed the blaze is not suspicious but there are no details on the cause.