Kelly Hayes reports
KELOWNA, B.C. — The Kelowna fire department threw everything it had at a grass fire in the Glenmore area Tuesday.
The fire was reported shortly before 10:30 a.m. at a rural residence in the 2100-block of Scenic Road.
“Upon arrival, KFD crews found some smoke and flames advancing uphill and into a treed area on the property,” says KFD Platoon Captain, Tim Light.
Some trees candled as crews brought the blaze under control.
At least one structure — an old shed — was destroyed by the flames.
A bucket helicopter was called to the scene but decided not to drop its load because ground crews were getting the upper hand.
There were major concerns about some agriculture chemicals stored in an underground root cellar. One resident said the fumes would have been toxic or may have exploded had the flames reached the chemicals. The flames burned over the cellar.
Officials say it appears the blaze was human-caused and are reminding residents that no burning is allowed within city limits at this time.
One resident says he saw the fire start around the perimeter of a burning barrel on the property but couldn’t confirm if it was the source of the fire.
RCMP were on scene doing interviews with potential witnesses.
Meantime, a precautionary boil water notice is in place for residents in the Scenic Road area. Officials don’t say how the water system was impacted by the fire but say that Glenmore Ellison Irrigation District crews are doing a complete “system cleaning and repairs.”
The GEID says the notice will remain in effect until further notice. Click here for full details