American who attacked N.S. women sentenced for fleeing to Canada in 1996

A law enforcement officer leads William Shrubsall through the Niagara County Court House in Lockport, N.Y., on Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019.
A law enforcement officer leads William Shrubsall through the Niagara County Court House in Lockport, N.Y., on Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019. The Canadian Press/AP, The Union-Sun & Journal, Tim Fenster

A New York state judge has sentenced a man who committed violent sexual crimes in Nova Scotia to between two and six years of additional jail time for absconding from justice and fleeing to Canada in 1996.

William Shrubsall carried out a series of rapes and beatings against Halifax women after he jumped bail and found his way to the provincial capital.

U.S. district attorney Caroline Wojtaszek confirmed the sentence in an interview Thursday, adding that during the hearing in Niagara County, N.Y., on Wednesday she argued Shrubsall was a brutal and manipulative man who was capable of further harm to women.

Read more: Murderer, sex predator at the centre of an ‘absurd’ parole decision

The 49-year-old American – who now goes by the name Ethan Simon Templar MacLeod – originally fled to Canada to avoid sentencing on sexual assault charges in the United States.

Story continues below advertisement

Shrubsall was deported to New York on Jan. 22, 2019 after he obtained a controversial release from the Parole Board of Canada based on its view he stood to serve many more years in American penitentiaries.

He is currently serving a sentence of two-and-one-third to seven years for his original conviction in absentia for the sexual assault of the young woman.

Wojtaszek says the sentence for jumping bail will be on top of his existing sentence, and that the earliest Shrubsall could be eligible for parole is in about four years.

Read more: N.S. prosecutor slams parole decision that released and deported U.S.-born convicted killer

Shrubsall was designated a dangerous offender in Canada in 2001 after the American fugitive committed a series of attacks against women in Halifax.

The crimes included the fracturing of one victim’s skull with a baseball bat in 1998 to the point she spent five days in a coma and almost died.

Wojtaszek has said that initially U.S. authorities simply didn’t know where Shrubsall was after he suddenly disappeared on the third day of his sexual abuse trial, leaving a suicide note.

Read more: Sexual predator Shrubsall fails in bid to have U.S. jail time reduced

Story continues below advertisement

In Canada, Shrubsall used a series of aliases as he first stalked a woman he’d met and then went on to commit brutal crimes against three others.

In February 1998, he inflicted the baseball bat assault on a clerk in a Halifax waterfront store.

Three months later, he beat, robbed and sexually assaulted a 19-year-old university student in a south-end Halifax driveway. And in June 1998, he choked and confined a 26-year-old woman.

Those came on top of his American crimes, which included beating his mother to death when he was 17 in their home in Niagara Falls, N.Y. He told the court at the time that his mother had abused him.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 30, 2020.