June 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Hero dog saves owners from house fire

Molly, 2, is being credited for saving her owners after a fire broke out in their home.

Emily Baron Cadloff/Global News

OROMOCTO — Most dogs are loyal, but one pup is bringing loyalty to a new level. Molly, a two-year-old black lab mix, saved her owners from a fire in the family’s kitchen.

Brad and Linda McMorran woke up to Molly jumping on their bed and scratching at their chests just before 1:00 a.m. That’s when they smelled smoke, and realised the house was on fire.

Story continues below

“Molly jumped up on my wife, yeah, and uh, woke her up. And we, we have a door right off our bedroom, so we’re fortunate that we could get out. It’s a good thing that door was there,” said Brad.

They escaped with Molly and their two cats, and called the fire department.

Crews fought the blaze for more than four hours, which burned up to the attic. Richard Cummings, the deputy fire chief for the Oromocto Fire Department, says the damage in the house is significant.

“Inside there’s quite significant fire damage in the kitchen area, the rest of the main floor of the house has suffered a fair bit of smoke and heat damage,” said Cummings.

Now, Brad says his dog is a hero.

“She should have a medal.”

© 2013 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.