Advertisement

Syrian refugees who lost 7 children in Halifax house fire release statement

COVID-19 outbreak could lead to shortage of critical medicines
WATCH: One year after a devastating house fire in Halifax killed the seven children of a Syrian refugee couple, a firefighter who was at the scene is talking about how the tragedy haunts him.

Ebraheim and Kawthar Barho have released a statement Tuesday to mark Wednesday’s first anniversary of the tragic fire that killed seven of their children.

The Barho children — Ahmad, 14; Rola, 12; Mohamad, 9; Ola, 8; Hala, 3; Rana, 2, and four-month-old Abdullah — all died when fire swept through their Spryfield house on Feb. 19, 2019, just after midnight.

Syrian community rally to support family killed in Halifax fire
Syrian community rally to support family killed in Halifax fire

Only the parents managed to escape, but the father, Ebraheim, received serious burns and since then has undergone several surgeries.

READ MORE: Father of 7 kids killed in Halifax fire continues long road to recovery

Story continues below advertisement

The Hants East Assisting Refugees Team (HEART), which helped take the family in when they arrived in 2017 as refugees, released the statement on behalf of the parents.

“We would like to offer our deepest gratitude to the thousands of Nova Scotians who have shown us their love and support over this past year,” Ebraheim and Kawthar said in a written statement.

“The loss is immense, and we miss our children every day.

Tweet This

“Still we have found comfort in the kindness of strangers, in the courage of first responders, in the dedication of healthcare professionals, and in the sense of belonging offered to us by this community. We will keep each and every one of you in our hearts forever.”

Barho fire anniversary
Barho fire anniversary

HEART said that it continues to mourn the loss of “seven beautiful Barho children.”

“Our lives have great joy and love, and our lives also have great tragedy and loss. In the past year, the only thing that rose to the same level as the tragic loss of the 7 seven children we loved, was the outpouring of compassion and support from communities, both near and far,” the team stated.

In September 2019, Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE) said it was unable to determine what caused the fire on Quartz Drive.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Halifax fire classify cause of fatal Spryfield blaze as undetermined

At the West Street Fire Station where the update took place, HRFE Chief Ken Stuebing said the department “investigated every avenue available” but was still unable to determine an exact cause.

“We believe the fire started in the back of the main floor living room area, near a couch,” Stuebing said. “We are also confident there was no electrical fault or defect. Investigators determined the circuit breakers to the electric baseboard heaters were in the off position before the fire, meaning there was no power to the heating sources of the house.”

READ MORE: Dalhousie nursing grads plant tree in memory of Barho children

Stuebing said the fire department will continue to investigate the cause of the fire if new information becomes available.

-With files from Graeme Benjamin, Rebecca Lau and The Canadian Press.