Advertisement

Car exhaust fumes behind Edmonton school’s carbon monoxide scare; students to return Monday

Bishop Greschuk Catholic Elementary School in north Edmonton. Global News

Bishop Greschuk Catholic Elementary students will be returning to class Monday after the school was closed Friday due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

The north Edmonton school was evacuated around 10 a.m. after staff noticed an exhaust smell. ATCO crews confirmed levels of carbon monoxide were high.

On Sunday, representatives from the Edmonton Catholic School District said that the cause was determined to be a combination of cold weather and exhaust from vehicles in the student drop-off area. Wind had been blowing in the direction of the open front doors of the school Friday, which caused exhaust fumes to enter the building.

READ MORE: Carbon monoxide scare prompts north Edmonton school evacuation

ECSD said the air quality at the school has been monitored by officials over the weekend and has been verified to be safe. The roof, exhaust pipes and fresh air intake pipes have also all been inspected.

Story continues below advertisement

Carbon monoxide detectors have also been placed permanently around the school to continue monitoring the levels, according to the division.

READ MORE: Edmonton Public Schools to install carbon monoxide detectors in all its schools

About 430 students attend Bishop Greschuk.

Click to play video: 'The importance of having a working carbon monoxide detector' The importance of having a working carbon monoxide detector
The importance of having a working carbon monoxide detector – Dec 23, 2019

Sponsored content