Advertisement

U.S. offers to enter talks with Iran but warns country over ‘malign’ behaviour

Click to play video: 'Mike Pompeo decries human rights abuses on the part of Iran' Mike Pompeo decries human rights abuses on the part of Iran
WATCH: Mike Pompeo decries human rights abuses on the part of Iran – Dec 19, 2019

The United States renewed its offer to engage in talks with Iran on Thursday but warned it will do everything in its power “to curb malign Iranian behaviour” if Tehran continues to destabilize the Middle East.

The U.S. ambassador at the United Nations, Kelly Craft, said the Trump administration also “rejects Iran’s use of nuclear brinkmanship to normalize its destabilizing behaviour.”

She commented at a UN Security Council meeting on the implementation of a resolution endorsing the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and key world powers.

READ MORE: Iran protest death toll now more than 300, Amnesty International says

Iranian Ambassador Majid Takht Ravanchi called the U.S. offer of unconditional talks “disingenuous.” The U.S. wants to enter dialogue from a position of strength from maintaining sanctions and maximum pressure, “and not based on equal footing,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

“Iran does not negotiate under the threat of a sword,” Ravanchi said.

He said U.S. implementation of the council’s 2015 resolution endorsing the international Iran nuclear deal “will pave the way for a genuine dialogue to start.”

The Trump administration withdrew from the deal in May 2018 and has since stepped up sanctions on Iran.

Click to play video: 'Supporters of Iran-backed militia stage protest after new U.S. sanctions' Supporters of Iran-backed militia stage protest after new U.S. sanctions
Supporters of Iran-backed militia stage protest after new U.S. sanctions – Dec 14, 2019

Ravanchi said that in negotiations on the nuclear deal, Iran rejected attempts to include its legitimate defence capabilities and its role in the region. He said that “under no circumstances will Iran compromise on its security.”

The UN political chief, Rosemary DiCarlo, told the Security Council that tensions in the region “have worryingly escalated” during 2019.

“We witnessed attacks against oil tankers, strikes against a civilian airport, and a highly sophisticated and synchronized attack against oil facilities in Saudi Arabia,” she said. “Combined with acrimonious rhetoric, these developments have dangerously brought the region closer to a serious confrontation.”

Story continues below advertisement

DiCarlo warned that “such an eventuality would be devastating and must be prevented at all costs.”

READ MORE: Iran releases Chinese-American graduate student in prisoner swap with U.S.

The meeting followed UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ recent report saying the United Nations has not been able to independently corroborate that cruise missiles and drones used in attacks earlier this year on an airport and oil facilities in Saudi Arabia “are of Iranian origin” — or were transferred from Iran “in a manner inconsistent” with the 2015 UN resolution.

DiCarlo reiterated that finding, saying the UN is still collecting and analyzing additional information on the drones and cruise missiles.

For example, she said, “we have recently received confirmation that some of the cruise missile components were, in fact, not made by the identified manufacturers but could have been copies.”

The United States, Britain, France Germany and Israel have blamed Iran for the attacks, but Iran and Russia insist Tehran was not responsible.

Click to play video: 'Trump says hostage swap could be ‘precursor’ to further action with Iran' Trump says hostage swap could be ‘precursor’ to further action with Iran
Trump says hostage swap could be ‘precursor’ to further action with Iran – Dec 7, 2019

Craft, the U.S. ambassador, told the council that “there is simply no other plausible explanation.”

Story continues below advertisement

She said only Iran could have carried out a complex attack like the ones on Saudi Aramco oil facilities in Abqaiq and Khurais on Sept. 14, which Yemen’s Houthi Shiite rebels claimed responsibility for.

The weapons used didn’t have the range to come from Houthi territory and the drones had “numerous characteristics in common with Iranian designs,” Craft said.

She said the damage at the oil facilities “shows that the attack came from the north, not from the south, as you would expect if the Houthis were responsible.”

READ MORE: 80 million affected in Iran internet shutdown, experts say

What this means, Kraft said, is that Iran “attacked a sovereign nation from its territory” which should be condemned by all nations.

British Ambassador Karen Pierce stressed the importance for the Europeans of preserving the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, which she called “fundamental to regional and international peace and security.” She added that it is essential diplomatic efforts continue.

Pierce expressed regret at Iran’s recent steps reducing its nuclear commitments and worry at indications that Tehran is illegally transferring conventional arms, missiles and missile technology in the region.

Click to play video: 'Iranian-Canadian community concerned they can’t reach loved ones amid protests and internet blackout' Iranian-Canadian community concerned they can’t reach loved ones amid protests and internet blackout
Iranian-Canadian community concerned they can’t reach loved ones amid protests and internet blackout – Nov 20, 2019

“We call on Iran to cease such activities, which only deepen mistrust and increase regional tensions,” she said.

Story continues below advertisement

But Russia’s ambassador, Vassily Nebenzia, told the council the “so-called evidence provided about culpability of Iran is not persuasive and it is not corroborated in the secretary-general’s report.” He added that the report “is plagued by a chronic lack of evidence.”

Nebenzia called the 2015 agreement between Iran and the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany “the crowning achievement of multilateralism.”

“We cannot allow political pressure, economic asphyxiation and military blackmail to prevail,” he said. “The end goal needs to be the establishment of a genuinely inclusive security architecture which reflects the legitimate concerns of all countries in the region.”

Click to play video: 'Pompeo says U.S. will ‘terminate sanctions waiver’ at facility where Iran to begin uranium enrichment' Pompeo says U.S. will ‘terminate sanctions waiver’ at facility where Iran to begin uranium enrichment
Pompeo says U.S. will ‘terminate sanctions waiver’ at facility where Iran to begin uranium enrichment – Nov 18, 2019

Sponsored content