Advertisement

U.S. sailor kills 2, injures 1 before shooting self at Pearl Harbor naval shipyard: officials

U.S. sailor kills 2, injures 1 before shooting self at Pearl Harbor naval shipyard: officials
WATCH ABOVE: U.S. sailor kills 2, injures 1 before shooting self at Pearl Harbor naval shipyard, officials say

Two people have died and one has been injured in a shooting at a U.S. Navy and Air Force base at Pearl Harbor, according to the U.S. military.

The shooting, which took place at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, was confirmed by U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Robert Chadwick during a press conference to have been carried out by an active duty sailor who was assigned to the attack submarine USS Columbia (SSN-771).

READ MORE: The more gun ownership, the more mass shootings. ‘That isn’t rocket science,’ study says

The third victim is confirmed to be in “stable condition,” said Chadwick.

A tweet from the base’s official Twitter account previously reported that the sailor had “shot and injured three Department of Defense civilian workers” before fatally shooting themself.

The base, which was previously closed off after reports of the shooting first emerged, is no longer in lockdown and has resumed regular access.

Story continues below advertisement
Pearl Harbor U.S. Navy base re-opens after reported shooting
Pearl Harbor U.S. Navy base re-opens after reported shooting

The shooting was confirmed to have taken place at the shipyard’s Dry Dock 2 and took place Wednesday afternoon at roughly 2:30 p.m. local time.

Security and investigative services are now looking into the shooting according to a tweet from the base.

The identities of the victims will not be released until their next of kin have been notified, according to the base’s tweet.