Firefighters rescue pets from burning south side home

Crews battle blaze at a south side home, Monday, June 3, 2013. Dave Carels/Global News

Edmonton –  A house fire in south Edmonton forced residents to flee and firefighters to rush inside to save a number of pets.

The blaze started at around 3 a.m. Monday morning at a house in the Parkallen neighbourhood.

When crews arrived, smoke was billowing out of the home.  All the residents got out safely, but several pets had to be rescued.

Most of the animals were treated with oxygen on the scene, but one of the pets was taken to a veterinary clinic for further assessment.

The home has been badly damaged.

While investigators believe the fire started in the basement, they still have to determine the exact point of origin.

The Canadian Red Cross is helping four people who have been affected by the fire.

Story continues below advertisement

The organization is providing them with clothing, food and a place to stay for the next three days.

Sponsored content