April 23, 2019 2:26 pm
Updated: April 24, 2019 12:44 am

‘We will declare war’: Philippines’ Duterte gives Canada 1 week to take back garbage

WATCH ABOVE: 'We will declare war' against Canada over dumped garbage, says Duterte

A A

OTTAWA – The president of the Philippines says if Canada doesn’t take back tonnes of trash within the next week he will “declare war” and ship the containers back himself.

READ MORE: Canada violated international law by dumping garbage in the Philippines: lawyers

Filipino media outlets are reporting that Rodrigo Duterte made threats Tuesday about dozens of shipping containers filled with Canadian household and electronic garbage that has been rotting in a port near Manila for nearly six years.

WATCH: Canadians throwing away more garbage than ever

More than 100 of the containers were shipped to Manila by a Canadian company in 2013 and 2014, improperly labelled as plastics for recycling.

Customs inspectors discovered they actually contained garbage, including soiled adult diapers and kitchen trash.

A Filipino environmentalist joins a demonstration in front of the Senate building in protest of garbage imported from Canada, in Pasay city, south of Manila, Philippines, 9 September 2015.

EPA/FRANCIS R. MALASIG

Canada has been trying for nearly six years to convince the Philippines to dispose of the garbage there even though a Filipino court ordered the trash returned to Canada in 2016.

READ MORE: Activists urge Justin Trudeau to take Canada’s trash out of Philippines

Last week a British Columbia lawyer said in a legal brief that Canada is in violation of the international Basel Convention, which forbids developed nations from sending their toxic or hazardous waste to developing nations without informed consent.

© 2019 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.