March 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Calgary Fire Department reminds smokers to butt out cigarettes properly

A file photo of a firefighter surveying the scene of an emergency call.

The City of Calgary
A A

The Calgary Fire Department is warning smokers to properly dispose of cigarettes and other smoking materials after a number of fires over the winter were determined to have been caused by the improper disposal of those materials.

READ MORE: Kitchen fire at Calgary duplex displaces family, 2 children hospitalized

On Tuesday, the CFD released the causes of six fires from January 2019:

“January 2019 saw crews respond to a number of fires that had a range of causes,” Carol Henke, a CFD public information officer, said in a statement. “Overall, the leading cause of residential fires in our city continues to be cooking left unattended, however, January saw a number of fires related to improper disposal of smoking material, a cause which also resulted in two fatality fires in December 2018.”

READ MORE: No injuries, minor damage after northeast Calgary garage fire caused by unattended hot plate

The CFD reminded Calgarians to properly dispose of cigarettes and smoking materials by doing the following:

  • Always use a deep, sturdy and non-combustible receptacle that contains water or sand.
  • Before you throw away cigarette butts and ashes, make sure they are out by soaking in water.
  • Never discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping. Peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things can easily ignite.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.