February 9, 2019 9:28 am
Updated: February 9, 2019 9:29 am

Complainant should get legal funding in battle over sexual history, court says

The unidentified woman, who is in her early 20s, was allegedly abused when she was between three and eight years old.

File/ Global News
A A

The Nova Scotia Supreme Court has ordered that a sexual assault complainant should have a state-funded lawyer represent her when the alleged attacker seeks to introduce evidence about her sexual history.

The unidentified woman, who is in her early 20s, was allegedly abused when she was between three and eight years old.

READ MORE: Halifax police name taxi driver charged with sexual assault last month

Global News
Help us improve Globalnews.ca
Story continues below

According to a Supreme Court ruling released Friday, her alleged abuser is seeking to introduce evidence that she “has engaged in sexual activity other than the sexual activity that forms the subject-matter of the charge.”

Under the Criminal Code, such evidence can only be admitted after a two-step procedure in which a judge determines its admissibility.

The young woman wanted to participate in that hearing, as was made possible under Criminal Code amendments that came into effect on Dec. 13, 2018, but said she earns minimum wage and can’t afford to hire a lawyer.

READ MORE: Man charged in sexual assault investigation involving 2 children on Siksika Nation

The Crown prosecutor asked the Supreme Court to order a state-funded lawyer, saying it is the only way to make the woman’s right to counsel meaningful.

© 2019 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.