January 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Police investigation underway following carbon monoxide leak at LaSalle school

The Jan. 14 carbon monoxide leak at Découvreurs Elementary in LaSalle has sparked serious concerns from parents.

Billy Shields/Global News
A A

Montreal police are investigating the circumstances that caused a carbon monoxide leak that sent more than 40 people to hospital, Global News has learned.

An official at the Marguerite-Bourgeoys School Board (CSMB) confirmed that there is an ongoing criminal investigation concerning possible negligence at the Des Découvreurs Elementary School and that the school board is fully cooperating with the Montreal police department.

READ MORE: Montreal parents upset with CSMB’s answers following carbon monoxide leak

Montreal Police declined to comment on the matter.

About two weeks ago 35 children and eight adults were rushed to hospital after suffering from symptoms such as dizziness, nausea and light-headedness.

WATCH: The importance of carbon monoxide detectors in schools

At least nine of those people were unconscious when they arrived.

Fire officials quickly determined that the presence of carbon monoxide in the air caused the issue and that the gas had failed to escape through the chimney of the school’s combustible heating system.

WATCH: Parents demand answers following gas leak in elementary school

Following the incident, several parents told Global News they were keeping their children out of class until they could be certain the situation at the school was safe.

Des Découvreurs officials met with parents on Monday in an effort to assuage their concerns.

READ MORE: Carbon monoxide detectors to be mandatory in all Quebec schools says Education Minister

According to the board, carbon monoxide detectors have been installed at the school following up on a directive by the education minister issued after the leak.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.