OTTAWA – The remains of a second Canadian have been identified from the carnage of January’s terrorist attack at an Algeria natural gas plant.
The RCMP said in an email Saturday that the second Canadian was identified from among the bodies of the men accused of being terrorists.
Police are giving out no further information.
Earlier this month police confirmed another Canadian was among those killed, but wouldn’t say if the remains were discovered among the al-Qaida linked terrorists or the hostages.
At least 38 hostages and 29 militants were killed in a four day siege that ended when the Algerian military stormed the gas plant.
Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal said shortly after that two Canadians were among the band of militants who took hundreds of workers hostage.
The Foreign Affairs Department initially couldn’t confirm the claim and RCMP investigators were sent to Algiers to follow up.
Canadian intelligence officials have said dozens of Canadians have ventured abroad—or tried to do so—to take part in violent operations.