October 26, 2017 11:49 pm
Updated: October 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Cuban officials defend against sonic attack accusations in television special

In this Aug. 14, 2015, file photo, a U.S. flag flies at the U.S. embassy in Havana, Cuba. U.S. investigators are chasing many theories about what‚ harming American diplomats in Cuba, including a sonic attack, electromagnetic weapon or flawed spying device.

(AP Photo/Desmond Boylan, File)
A A

Cuba on Thursday presented its most detailed defence to date against U.S. accusations that American diplomats in Havana were subjected to mysterious sonic attacks that left them with a variety of ailments including headaches, hearing problems and concussions.

In a half-hour, prime-time special titled “Alleged Sonic Attacks,” Cuban officials attempted to undermine the Trump administration’s assertion that 24 U.S. officials or their relatives had been subjected to deliberate attacks by a still-undetermined culprit.

WATCH: U.S. pulls embassy staff from Cuba after mysterious sonic attacks


Story continues below

Many officials reported being subjected to loud, grating noises before falling ill. The U.S. has not accused Cuba of carrying out the attacks, but says that Cuba has not met its obligation to protect diplomats on its territory.

The television special pointed out what it alleged was a lack of evidence for the U.S. accusations. It argued the United States had failed to show that such attacks had actually occurred because it had not given Cuba or the public access to the testimony or medical records of U.S. officials who reported attacks, despite three visits to Cuba by U.S. investigators in June, August and September.

WATCH: Secret “sonic weapon” could be giving diplomats in Cuba brain injuries

“The members of the U.S. delegation said they don’t have evidence that confirms that these reported attacks occurred, and brought up that there was no working theory about the cause of the health problems reported by their diplomats,” the program’s narrator said.

The narrator said Cuba had undertaken an exhaustive investigation ordered by “the highest government authorities,” a clear reference to President Raul Castro. Cuba did not possess any technology capable of carrying out a sonic attack and importing it was prohibited by law, according to the special.

WATCH: U.S. expels 2 Cuban diplomats after incidents in Cuba

“Its entering the country could only take place illegally,” the narrator said.

The creators of the report interviewed neighbours of the affected diplomats who said they had not heard any strange sounds or suffered any symptoms, which the special presented as another purported weakness in the U.S. allegations.

It said security around U.S. diplomats’ homes had been dramatically increased.

READ MORE: U.S. confirms two more victims in Cuba sonic attacks, bringing total to 24

The U.S. State Department declined to comment at length on the Cuban critique, saying Thursday that, “the safety and well-being of American citizens is our top priority … We are continuing our investigation into the attacks, and the Cuban government has told us they will continue their efforts as well.”

The U.S. has cut staffing at its Havana embassy by 60 per cent in response to the incidents, expelled Cuban diplomats from the embassy in Washington, issued a travel warning for Americans going to Cuba and stopped issuing visas for Cubans in Havana.

READ MORE: Recordings of Cuba sonic attacks emerge, offer more questions than answers

The measures have sent U.S.-Cuba relations plummeting from a high point under President Barack Obama and cut into the increasingly important flow of tourists to Cuba, whose economy went into recession last year for the first time in more than two decades.

Thursday night’s special did not present an alternate explanation for the facts presented by U.S. officials, with one significant exception. Officials with Cuba’s Interior Ministry said that U.S. investigators had presented them with three recordings made by presumed victims of sonic attacks and that analysis of the sounds showed them to be extremely similar to those of crickets and cicadas that live along the northern coast of Cuba.

READ MORE: Cuba warns U.S. against ‘hasty decisions’ in mysterious sonic attacks case

“It’s the same bandwidth and it’s audibly very similar,” said Lt. Col. Juan Carlos Molina, a telecommunications specialist with the Interior Ministry. “We compared the spectrums of the sounds and evidently this common sound is very similar to the sound of a cicada.”

The program’s narrator said that unnamed “North American researchers” had found that some cicada and cricket noises could be louder than 90-95 decibels, enough to produce hearing loss, irritation and hypertension in situations of prolonged exposure.

© 2017 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.