19 cases of Salmonella linked to Indian food booth at Edmonton Folk Fest: AHS
Alberta Health Services said 19 lab-confirmed cases of Salmonella have been linked to food served by the Haweli Restaurant at the music festival at Gallagher Park from Aug. 10 – 13.
There have not been any cases of Salmonella linked to the Haweli Restaurant itself, AHS said.
Environmental Public Health inspected the restaurant and is “satisfied that all requirements under the Alberta Public Health Act are being met at the present time,” according to a media release from AHS.
The health authority said there is little ongoing risk to the public.
AHS said it worked closely with the music festival and food vendors before the event to ensure all food operators were aware of the requirements under the Public Health Act.
Salmonella typically presents itself within six to 72 hours after ingesting the bacteria in food. Symptoms include diarrhea that may be bloody, abdominal cramps and fever, vomiting and nausea. Salmonella illness can last for several weeks.
Eating contaminated foods is the most common cause of Salmonella. Contaminated foods could include raw or under cooked eggs or egg products, meat, poultry, raw fruit and vegetables.
People can also become exposed to Salmonella bacteria by not thoroughly cleaning surfaces that have been used to prepare raw meat and other foods in the kitchen.
Anyone with concerns can call Health Link Alberta 24 hours a day at 811.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.