PARIS – A French court has rejected a bid to close the 72 eateries and shops in the makeshift migrant camp in the northern port city of Calais, but the prefecture says it will continue inspections and legal action against what it calls a dangerous underground economy.
READ MORE: ‘I need help’: How one panicked, trans-Atlantic text saved 15 trapped migrants
The Lille court turned down on Friday the demand of the Prefecture of the Pas de Calais region, the state representative, to close the operations which humanitarian organizations contend are a lifeline for the migrants, estimated at over 7,000 in the camp.
WATCH: Refugees clash with police in bloody protest against Calais camp demolition
A statement by the prefecture said the installations don’t respect sanitation rules, risk fires and are a source of public disorder.
The state provides free meals, but aid groups say not enough.
- 11-year-old dead by suicide, one of 13 who’ve died in Alberta child welfare system so far this year
- Here are 5 ways Budget 2023 will impact your wallet
- ‘Do not sign a fixed-term lease’: Warning from Halifax student after landlord won’t renew
- Budget 2023 expands dental-care program, but expected cost balloons to $13B