Where to go
Quebec City was awarded Canada’s top city by the magazine’s readers for its charming Parisian feel. It was followed by Vancouver, Victoria, Montreal and Toronto.
The country’s top three islands were chosen to be: Vancouver Island at number one, then Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton Island.
On the international front: the romantic and resilient Charleston, South Carolina has been named the world’s best city, an honour hometown hero Stephen Colbert thinks should be extended to the galaxy.
How to get around
READ MORE: Cheapest places for Canadians to fly to
It was praised for its complimentary in-flight beer and wine cart (served in real glasses), as well as free snacks. Also recognized was the fact that anyone can access its lounge.
Once you’re on the ground and need some wheels: National won first place on the world’s best car rental company list, for the third year in a row.
READ MORE: Discover Canada’s hidden road trip gems
Where to stay
On the world’s 100 best hotels list, the Fogo Island Inn in Newfoundland checked in at number 52.
Quebec’s Manoir Hovey made the top 20. It was also awarded top honours for Canada’s best resort — a list dominated by the west.
Here’s Canada’s full top 10 resorts list:
- Manoir Hovey, North Hatley, Quebec
- Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland
- Wickaninnish Inn, Tofino, British Columbia
- Four Seasons Resort & Residences Whistler, British Columbia
- Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta
- Post Hotel & Spa, Lake Louise, Alberta
- Fairmont Chateau Whistler, British Columbia
- Fairmont Banff Springs, Banff, Alberta
- Nita Lake Lodge, Whistler, British Columbia
- The Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa, Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
The top 10 city hotels, according to Travel and Leisure, are:
- Wedgewood Hotel & Spa, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Rosewood Hotel Georgia, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto, Ontario
- The Ritz-Carlton Montreal, Quebec
- Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Auberge Saint-Antoine, Quebec City, Quebec
- Magnolia Hotel & Spa, Victoria, British Columbia
- The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto, Ontario
- Fairmont Pacific Rim, Vancouver
- Loden Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia
If you’re looking for some pampering, the top international destination spa was awarded to B.C.’s own Mountain Trek Health & Fitness Retreat. It’s described “as a retreat that specializes in weight loss.”
Guests undergo a “boot-camp-like approach to fitness” with four-hour hikes while being treated to “portion-controlled spa cuisine (think crab cakes with tricolor coleslaw and lemon-ricotta pancakes).”
There are also lectures on nutrition and stress management — all to be enjoyed while surrounded by mountains, forests and meadows.
SOUND OFF: What’s your favourite place to travel to in Canada? Share your gems in the comments below!