WATCH: B.C. woman included on ISIS’s ‘kill list’ speaks out
A B.C. woman is speaking out after learning her name appeared on a so-called Islamic State ‘kill list.’
On Thursday, Canadian authorities said they were aware of a report on a ‘kill list’ linked to the Islamic State that includes the names of roughly 150 Canadians.
The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), a U.S. media monitoring organization, said the list was created by a pro-ISIS hacking group called the Caliphate Cyber Army and two affiliate groups.
Global News has obtained a copy of the list, which includes the names, emails and street addresses of more than 8,300 people from around the world. Most of the approximately 150 Canadians on the list are women.
Watch below: Global’s Jill Croteau has details from Albertans who learned their names, addresses and emails are on the ISIS “kill list.”
One of these women is a B.C. resident, whose real name, age or place of residence will not be released by Global News due to privacy and safety concerns.
The woman told Global News police came to her door Saturday night to inform her that her name was on the list.
“I didn’t know what to say,” she said. “I was shocked. I was completely stunned. Why would I be on the ISIS kill list? I am nobody.”
Next, she says she felt anger.
“I was planning to go out with my friends that night,” she said. “One of my friends actually suggested that I should stay home. And I said, well, if I stay home, they win. It made me angry. It’s like somebody is trying to have control over my life – what I do and what I feel. I did not like it at all. I still don’t like it.”
Speaking in Ottawa Thursday, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said the federal government is treating the threat seriously.
“We take that matter and all matters related to international terrorism extremely seriously,” he said. “You can be assured that the police and security authorities of Canada are taking this matter with the gravity it demands.”
WATCH: Ralph Goodale says government is treating ISIS kill list ‘with the gravity it demands’
The woman told Global News she was told by police officers the list came from social media.
“At the time, I did not have any questions, because I was just so taken aback by what they said to me,” she said. “It was such a shock at first, I had to think about it for a few days. I still have a lot of questions and they gave me a number for the National Security Hotline to call, but I have not done that yet.”
She also said the officers told her to be aware of her surroundings, look out for anything suspicious and give them a call. She said that didn’t feel like comforting information.
“Not at all. I am on this list, so if they are coming to get me, they will get me. There is no real comfort in them saying, ‘just give us a call.'”
She says she has been paranoid about the situation all last week.
“It kind of makes you really look at who’s next to you. I didn’t like that at all. They did their job. They scared me.”
She says she is the last person she would have expected to be on this list.
“I am not prominent in any political circles,” she said. “I have not done anything against anyone. I am just a regular person. So, why me? I keep trying to think positively and not let it get to me, but there is still this paranoia. It’s a scary thing to have someone tell you that. How do you process that?”
Elliot Zweig, MEMRI’s deputy director, said his organization was happy to have found the list and provide it to law enforcement. They first discovered the list on June 7.
“We hope that law enforcement and the individuals [named in the list] will make their best determination as to the seriousness of the threat,” Zweig told Global News.
“However, both the size of it as well as the apparently semi-random nature of the individuals on it means that it is mostly likely a less-focused threat,” he said.
Zweig said past “kill lists” have included military personnel, government officials or more prominent names.
Meanwhile, the B.C. resident remains determined to live her life to the fullest and not let the fear of being on the list get to her.
“I think if I stop doing the things that I normally do, they win. If I stay home and let my paranoia take over, they win. I don’t want to live like that. I mean, they did what they set out to do. They scared the hell out of me. But what can I do? If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen. I don’t believe it will happen, but it’s the fear of the unknown.”
She says she does not know if the authorities can really do anything to protect her or anyone else on the list, but hopes others who find themselves in this predicament can find the strength to do the same.
“Don’t let them get to you. Don’t be in fear. You are not living if you are.”
WATCH ABOVE: Imagine getting a phone call from police telling you your name appears on a so-called Islamic State “kill list.” That’s exactly what’s happening for 151 Canadians this week. Vassy Kapelos explains.
-With files from John Hua and Andrew Russell
© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.