WINNIPEG — As the weather continues to dip, CAA Manitoba is sharing tips to drivers to keep their cars running smoothly during the upcoming cold snap.
“Very cold temperatures like we’re shivering through today have a major impact on your car. We start to see problems pop up when the temperature continues for three or more days”said Liz Kulyk, Corporate Manager of Communications for CAA Manitoba.
Tips to avoid being stuck in the cold:
- Check your block heater and inspect all cords to ensure they’re not damaged or frayed.
- Plug your vehicle in at least three hours before you intend on driving it.
- If you suspect a dying battery, make sure to have it tested.
- Make sure all your fluid levels are topped up and are the right ones for the temperature; consider getting an oil change with synthetic oil.
- Always carry an emergency roadside kit in your car and have a charged cell phone.
Temperatures this weekend and into early next week will range from -20 C to -30 C. By the end of next week, we’ll see temperatures return closer to seasonal. The normal range for temperatures this time of year in Winnipeg is between -13 C and -24 C.