Baby hospitalized after parents accidentally filled bottle with vodka

WATCH ABOVE: The father appeared in court Wednesday for allegedly resorting to violence after blaming his girlfriend for the child’s intoxication. Veronica Macias reports.

A Wisconsin man has gone before a judge, facing multiple charges linked to violence after his girlfriend tried to bring their baby to hospital following the accidental pouring of vodka into the child’s bottle and a blood alcohol level three times the legal limit.

Kenosha police said Brian Smith entered a room Monday and emptied a water bottle, “not knowing it was going to be used for the the baby bottle” and poured the alcohol in. He had apparently intended to take the bottle with him to visit a friend.

But Smith didn’t leave right away and the mother, Natalee Kahl, unknowingly mixed the vodka with baby formula. Everything seemed fine until the one-and-a-half month old girl began squinting her eyes — her hands and toes turned red and her leg began shaking.

Story continues below advertisement

The two adults blamed each other once they realized what had happened and eventually the disagreement turned physical.

Officers say Smith choked the child’s mother, battered his sister who had just arrived to help, and resisted arrest.

A neighbour who did not want to be identified claimed to have entered through the back door while the altercation was taking place, punching Smith in the head because the baby was between the two adults.

“[Kahl] said she don’t want to press charges but the county is saying the state wants to pick up the charges,” Allen Jones, Smith’s father, explained to WTMJ.

Those charges are as follows:

  • 1 count of Suffocation/Strangulation
  • 2 counts of Battery Domestic Abuse
  • 1 count of Resisting Arrest
  • 1 count of Disorderly Conduct

Once the baby girl arrived at Aurora Hospital, health officials determined her blood alcohol level to be .294 per cent — far above the state’s legal limit of .08 per cent for people over the age of 21.

The baby was recovering and was expected to be released from hospital on Wednesday.

Sponsored content