Advertisement

WATCH: Texas newborn’s parents devastated after hospital scalds baby

Parents to newborn Isabel Lewandowski are looking for answers after they say a nurse mistakenly scalded their baby.

“My baby has second-degree burns on her foot and ankle and now we are just trying to get her treated,” father Spencer Lewandowski told NBC affiliate KPRC.

Isabel was undergoing a routine PKU blood test, which the March of Dimes site describes as typically being drawn from a baby’s heel.

“They got a diaper and filled it full of water and put it in the microwave and then applied it to my baby’s ankle and foot, which caused second-degree, severe second-degree, burns,” said Lewandowski.

It is not clear why the medical team at St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Houston, Texas took those particular steps before they drew Isabel’s blood.

The Lewandowskis’ lawyer Tim Culberson, an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice and birth injury law, said the incident was bizarre.

Story continues below advertisement

“I’ve been representing children with injuries for 16 years and I’ve never heard of this happening,” he said.

In a statement to KPRC, the hospital said, “We are aware of the complaint, and are conducting a thorough investigation that is ongoing. The hospital is committed to providing high quality health services to the communities we serve.”