Advertisement

Charleston shooting suspect in court for hearing on document release

FILE - In this June 18, 2015, file photo, Charleston, S.C., shooting suspect Dylann Storm Roof, center, is escorted from the Sheby Police Department in Shelby, N.C. FBI director James Comey says Roof, the gunman in the Charleston church massacre should not have been allowed to purchase the gun used in the attack, and on July 10 attributed the problem to incomplete and inaccurate paperwork related to an arrest of Roof weeks before the shooting. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton, File).
FILE - In this June 18, 2015, file photo, Charleston, S.C., shooting suspect Dylann Storm Roof, center, is escorted from the Sheby Police Department in Shelby, N.C. FBI director James Comey says Roof, the gunman in the Charleston church massacre should not have been allowed to purchase the gun used in the attack, and on July 10 attributed the problem to incomplete and inaccurate paperwork related to an arrest of Roof weeks before the shooting. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton, File).

CHARLESTON, S.C. – The suspect in the Charleston, South Carolina, church shootings is expected in court Thursday for a hearing on whether documents will be released to the news media.

Prosecutor Scarlett Wilson says Dylann Roof also will be presented with indictments. Roof faces nine counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder and a weapons charge in the June 17 fatal shooting of nine black parishioners at Emanuel AME Church.

The Associated Press, The Post and Courier of Charleston, WCIV-TV in Charleston and the South Carolina Press Association are challenging an order issued last week stopping attorneys from discussing the case and preventing the release of 911 calls, witness statements and coroner reports.

The judge said Roof’s right to a fair trial could be in jeopardy because of pretrial publicity.

Sponsored content