Advertisement

Overheated cell phone sparks bedroom fire in northeast Edmonton

Fire broke out in the bedroom of a townhouse located at 15128 - 22 St. in northeast Edmonton early Thursday morning. May 14, 2015.
Fire broke out in the bedroom of a townhouse located at 15128 - 22 St. in northeast Edmonton early Thursday morning. May 14, 2015. Dave Carels, Global News

EDMONTON — Fire officials say an overheated cell phone ignited, causing a fire in a condo complex in northeast Edmonton early Thursday morning.

Fire crews were called to a town house at the Beacon Pointe complex, located just off 22 Street and 151 Avenue, shortly after 4 a.m.

“I just heard this boom!” said neighbour Jackie Rose. “First of all I heard a scream, and then I heard a loud sound, and then the smell of fire.”

She said another neighbour came banging on the door after the fire began. Rose said a family with two children live in the home. It’s believed the fire started in an upstairs bedroom.

“It was contained to that suite, but that suite is damaged pretty bad,” said Captain Wade Lamb, Edmonton Fire Rescue.

“I mean, it was coming out the back window and up into the eaves a little bit when we showed up. We hit it from the outside a little bit, knocked it down, and then the guys went inside for an interior attack.”

Story continues below advertisement

The fire was declared under control by 4:29 a.m. and was extinguished quickly.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Total damage is estimated to be $175,000.

Sponsored content