WATCH ABOVE: Witnesses took the stand in a murder trial Wednesday in a case that dates back to 2012. A man was shot outside a popular Edmonton restaurant. Eric Szeto reports.
EDMONTON – The family of a man who was fatally shot outside a downtown Edmonton restaurant nearly three years ago is speaking out as the trial for one of the men charged with his murder begins.
“We’ve been waiting a long time for this moment,” said Donna Chislett, Dale Maloney’s aunt. “It’s been a very difficult time. No family should have to experience what we’ve been experiencing.”
At least a dozen people watched as 33-year-old Maloney was shot in broad daylight, behind the Joey Jasper restaurant on 113 Street on Aug. 13, 2012. He died in hospital several hours later.
Edmonton police said the shooting followed an argument with some men at the restaurant, but that Maloney did not know his suspected killers. Maloney was originally from Newfoundland and had been working as a backhoe operator in Alberta at the time of his death.
“Having somebody die that you love is one thing; having somebody die of violence for no reason is something quite different,” Chislett said Thursday.
Christian Iyamuremye, 25, was arrested in Brandon, Man. and charged with second-degree murder in Maloney’s death.
Iyamuremye appeared emotionless in court Thursday, as his girlfriend took the stand on day three of what’s expected to be a four-week trial.
“For us, it’s our first time hearing a lot of things so we’re not only getting our hearts ripped apart, we’re trying to deal,” said Chislett.
While painful, Chislett said the trial is also a time for closure for her family.
“We feel that we finally have an opportunity to try to heal and to try to move forward.”
A second suspect, 27-year-old Bicco Saidi, is still wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for Maloney’s death.
With files from Eric Szeto, Global News.