VANCOUVER – Charges have now been laid in the death of a 55-year-old Ladysmith woman, who died following an altercation on Feb. 3.
Police and paramedics were called to a home in the 10000-block of the Trans Canada Highway just after midnight, after receiving a 9-1-1 call saying a group of people were fighting.
Police say, despite efforts of first responders, the woman died at the scene.
50 year old Trevor George Meers of Ladysmith has now been charged with one count of manslaughter in relation to the woman’s death. He has been remanded into custody pending his next court appearance set for Feb. 10.
“Investigators are in the very early stages of this investigation,” said Cpl. Darren Lagan, spokesperson for the Vancouver Island RCMP, on Feb. 4. “While their investigation is in its infancy, there is no evidence to suggest there is any risk to the public.”
Police are asking anyone who has information that may assist investigators to contact the Ladysmith RCMP at 250-245-2215, or anonymously through Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
- Hit-and-run driver given 6 years for crash that claimed life of Ladysmith mother
- Evacuation alert upgraded to order in Northeastern B.C. due to wildfire
- 28-year-old man killed in South Vancouver gang shooting: VPD
- Evacuation order, alert issued for Donnie Creek wildfire burning north of Fort St. John
- 14,000 evacuated, state of emergency declared as Halifax-area wildfire burns on
- Homes ‘engulfed in flames’ from N.S. wildfire, thousands evacuated in Halifax suburbs
- More Canadian companies adopt ‘stay interviews’ amid push to retain staff
- Canadian provinces pressed to curb smoking in tobacco negotiations