Advertisement

Careless cooking caused $4 million in damages at Regina apartment building

Regina Fire says careless cooking caused a giant apartment fire at 3015 Parliament Avenue in Regina earlier this month.
Regina Fire says careless cooking caused a giant apartment fire at 3015 Parliament Avenue in Regina earlier this month. Kael Donnelly / Global News

REGINA – Regina Fire says careless cooking caused a giant apartment fire at 3015 Parliament Avenue in Regina earlier this month.

The January 9th fire started on a third floor suite, and two occupants of an adjacent suite had to be rescued via ladder by firefighters.

The inferno ignited in an apartment suite’s kitchen – the stove burners were left on and the heat ignited cooking oil.

The blaze along Parliament Avenue was so fierce crews were forced to take a defensive position and let the building burn in a controlled manner.

Damage is estimated to be around $4 million.

Careless cooking is the leading cause for fires in Regina and in the last 10 years – 468 homes in the city have been damaged or destroyed by kitchen mishaps.

Story continues below advertisement
Everyone made it out of the Parliament Avenue apartment building safely, but two residents had to be rescued by firefighters.
Everyone made it out of the Parliament Avenue apartment building safely, but two residents had to be rescued by firefighters. Kael Donnelly / Global News
A 23-unit apartment complex on Parliament Avenue is a total loss after a fire Friday.
A 23-unit apartment complex on Parliament Avenue is a total loss after a fire Friday. Kael Donnelly / Global News
Fire chief Ernie Polsom said the Parliament Avenue fire began in the kitchen of a suite on the top floor.
Fire chief Ernie Polsom said the Parliament Avenue fire began in the kitchen of a suite on the top floor. Kael Donnelly / Global News
The first fire was reported just before noon, at a three-story apartment building on Parliament Avenue near Robinson Street.
The first fire was reported just before noon, at a three-story apartment building on Parliament Avenue near Robinson Street. Kael Donnelly / Global News
Regina Fire says careless cooking caused a giant apartment fire at 3015 Parliament Avenue in Regina earlier this month.
Regina Fire says careless cooking caused a giant apartment fire at 3015 Parliament Avenue in Regina earlier this month. Kael Donnelly / Global News