Advertisement

French police raise security after 2 weekend attacks

A police vehicle is seen on December 21, 2014 in Dijon, at the site where a driver shouting "Allahu Akbar" ("God is great") ploughed into a crowd injuring 11 people, two seriously, a source close to the investigation said. Two of the people injured in the car attack in the city of Dijon were in a serious condition, a police source said, adding that the driver had been arrested.
A police vehicle is seen on December 21, 2014 in Dijon, at the site where a driver shouting "Allahu Akbar" ("God is great") ploughed into a crowd injuring 11 people, two seriously, a source close to the investigation said. Two of the people injured in the car attack in the city of Dijon were in a serious condition, a police source said, adding that the driver had been arrested. JEAN-PHILIPPE KSIAZEK/AFP/Getty Images

PARIS – France’s top security official has raised the number of people injured by a rampaging driver to 13, and is cautioning against jumping to conclusions about the attack.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Monday that the investigation in Dijon was just beginning. Eric Delzant, a local police official, told Europe 1 radio the attacker, who was detained, suffered from psychological problems.

Cazeneuve’s visit to Dijon on Monday was an indication of the government’s heightened concerns days after Islamic extremists renewed calls for individuals to strike in the West.

Police union official Michel Bonnet told BFM television that some witnesses heard the driver say “Allah is great.”

Counter-terrorist police are investigating a knife attack Saturday on police in a suburb of Tours, which left two officers seriously injured and the attacker dead.

Story continues below advertisement