Toxic chemical cocktail sends KGH workers to ER

The Kelowna Fire Department Hazmat Team is on the scene of a chemical spill that has injured two hospital workers. Dan Couch/ Global Okanagan

KELOWNA, B.C. – The Kelowna Fire Department was called to Kelowna General Hospital Monday morning at 9 a.m. for a “Code Brown” in the rehab ward off Abbott Street.

The Hazmat Team responded to a spill of chlorine and muriatic acid.

When mixed together, it creates a noxious gas similar to mustard gas.

Fire officials say two hospital workers were quickly whisked to the emergency department nearby to be treated for eye and lung irritations.

The Hazmat Team remains on the scene dealing with the chemical cocktail.


Sponsored content