July 30, 2014 5:17 pm
Updated: July 30, 2014 6:36 pm

RCMP officer injured in Moncton shooting back to work


MONCTON – Nearly two months after the shooting that killed three RCMP officers and injured two others, one of the injured officers spoke publicly for the first time Wednesday.

Constable Eric Dubois spoke to media at the Codiac RCMP Memorial Golf Tournament, mean to honour Cst. Fabrice Gevaudan, Cst. David Ross and Cst. Douglas Larche, who were killed on June 4th.

Story continues below

“I’m good. I’m good. I’m back full-duty at work,” he said. “I’m glad to be back at work because that’s what, you know, I want to do, be on the street and fight crime every day. Make sure that when you go to work, when you go to the restaurant, you can have a safe environment because that’s what we’re there for.”

Dubois took part in the golf tournament along with more than 30 other RCMP officers from the Codiac detachment. He said he wanted to speak Thursday so that the public could put a face to the name that they’ve heard over the past two months.

The tournament began with a moment of silence, before the teams spread out on the course.

“It’s incredible to think that such a tragic event has allowed such an amazing spirit of community to be visible and vibrant, and to see this,” said Supt. Marlene Snowman, who played in the tournament Thursday, despite admitting she had never been on a golf course before. “It’s been incredible this entire time and it continues to be exactly that.”

RCMP officers react as they attend the regimental funeral of three slain officers at the Moncton Coliseum in Moncton, N.B. on Tuesday, June 10, 2014. Const. David Ross, Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan and Const. Douglas James Larche were killed in a shooting spree last Wednesday.


The tournament was organized by the Royal Oaks Golf & Residential Community Association, who wanted to do something for the RCMP to show their support.

“It’s also quite emotional,” said Snowman. “And it shows the support of the community and the organizations and the companies of Greater Moncton and the government and the municipality and so many people.

“The spirit behind all of this is just overwhelming.”

Thirty-six teams registered for the tournament and each raised around $6,600 to play. More money was raised during the day through a silent auction. All the money will go to the RCMP Foundation.

Constable Dubois said the show of support from the community has been heart-warming.

“Everybody was praying for me and I can tell you that it works because my healing went so fast,” he said. “Everyone around me said it’s incredible how fast everything went back to normal.”

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News