July 24, 2014 7:59 am

Neighbours save man from burning unit in Surrey

Firefighters on the scene of an early morning fire in Surrey on July 24, 2014.

Kevin Church | Global News

Thanks to some quick-thinking neighbours, a man is safe after being rescued from a dangerous house fire in Surrey early this morning.

Flames erupted at a duplex property, which was in bad condition and slated for redevelopment, near 88th Avenue and 127th Street. The fire trapped a man inside the house and neighbours jumped into action to free him when they heard him yelling for help.

“We went outside and that’s when we saw all the black smoke billowing out,” a neighbour Steve Summerton said.

“He was yelling help, help, I’m burning alive — we couldn’t kick the door in because it’s a pretty solid lock. I went and grabbed the hatchet and chopped through it, got in, and pulled him out of the fire.”

Initial reports indicate the fire was accidental and cigarette smoking in bed may be to blame for the fire.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.