June 27, 2014 8:31 pm
Updated: June 28, 2014 10:13 pm

UPDATE: Fire at west Edmonton business causes $800,000 in damages

Fire at Iron Furniture; June 27, 2014

Colton Goforth , Global News

EDMONTON – Firefighters were called out to a blaze that broke out at a business in west Edmonton around Friday’s supper hour.

The call came in to Edmonton Fire Rescue just before 6 p.m. Friday evening. Fire trucks could be seen from the Global 1 news chopper surrounding Iron Furniture at 158 Street and 112 Avenue.

“The roof was on fire and within seconds it had spread to the second floor,” explained. District Chief Don Cherniawski with Edmonton Fire Rescue.

Cherniawski says it appeared there had been roofing work done on the building, because there were numerous propane tanks on the roof.

It’s been determined the fire was started by the roofers heating tar up -fire got into the rafters in the ceiling, but they didn’t realize it and left.

“There’s extensive damage inside. The walls and the ceiling did come down, so the whole main floor is compromised,” said Cherniawski.

No one was inside the building at the time. The blaze was brought under control by 7: 10 p.m.

The damages are estimated to be about $800,000.


© 2014 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.