May 1, 2014 11:30 pm
Updated: May 1, 2014 11:29 pm

Suspect in deadly Nanaimo shooting makes first court appearance

Shooting suspect Kevin Addison arrives at the Nanaimo courthouse.

Courtesy: Nanaimo Daily News

VANCOUVER – The suspect in a shooting at a Nanaimo mill that killed two men and wounded two others appeared in a Nanaimo courthouse Thursday.

47-year-old Kevin Douglas Addison faces two counts of first-degree murder and two charges of attempted murder.

He is a former employee of the mill.

Addison was ordered by the judge to have no contact with the victims or witnesses. He will remain in custody until his next court appearance on May 13.

WATCH: Deadly Nanaimo shooting suspect makes court appearance

Story continues below

Global News reporter Geoff Hastings says Addison showed little emotion as his case was discussed in court.

Four men were shot at the Western Forest Products Mill on Wednesday morning, just before 7 a.m.

The two people who were killed have now been identified as 53-year-old Fred Mceachern and 61-year-old Michael Lunn of Nanaimo.

One of the surviving victims has been identified as Tony Sudar. He is the vice-president of manufacturing at Western Forest Products and his wife tells Global News he was shot in the side of the face. She says he felt like someone was behind him and when he turned around he was shot. He is now in stable condition in hospital.

Court documents have now identified the other survivor as Earl Kelly.

Kelly’s family released the following statement to the media:

“We would like to thank everyone for the outpouring of support. Earl is showing steady improvement and has the comfort of his family. He is feeling very fortunate and at the same time very saddened by the loss of his co-workers.”

WATCH: Victims of Nanaimo workplace shooting:

Michael Lunn’s sister stopped by the memorial to leave a red coloured T-shirt. She says her brother’s favourite colour was red.

“He was a great man, he was my hero,” she said.

Nanaimo RCMP say there is no indication at this time that there are any other suspects and they are not releasing any details about a possible motive.

“The families and mill employees will now have to cope with the tragedy that occurred here today,” says Supt. Mark Fisher, officer in charge of the Nanaimo RCMP detachment.

“This kind of extreme violence is very rare.”

The workers at the mill have been offered grief counselling and the mill will not be open today.

WATCH: Suspect makes court appearance today:


© 2014 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News