The U.S. ambassador to Canada says Washington and Ottawa have yet to finalize the terms of an agreement, a stalemate that is currently prohibiting the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge.
Pete Hoekstra spoke with Republican House Speaker Matt Hall and Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer earlier this week to provide an update on the negotiations surrounding the 2.5-km cable-stayed bridge.
Despite previous demands from President Donald Trump that the U.S. should own half of the bridge, the Detroit News reported that Hoekstra insisted “this will get worked out.”
“At the end of the day, the president will have to sign off on it,” Hoekstra said. “There’s a lot of issues right now between the U.S. and Canada. The bridge is one more.”
The U.S. ambassador was reported saying current discussions between the U.S. and Canada have been “positive,” a sentiment that was shared by Prime Minister Mark Carney following a call he had with Trump in February.
“We discussed the bridge. I explained that Canada paid for the construction of the bridge — $6.4 billion — that the ownership is shared between the state of Michigan and the Government of Canada,” Carney told reporters ahead of a cabinet meeting.
Hoekstra said the major holdup is that the project came in “massively over budget.” The bridge was initially projected to cost $4.7 billion but has since risen to $6.4 billion.
Under the initial agreement signed by Canada and the U.S. in 2012, Canada would collect toll revenue until the bridge is paid off. At that point, Michigan would receive a share of the profits.
Get daily National news
According to the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority, the standard toll for small-and medium-sized personal vehicles will be $8.00 CAD, while the toll for large commercial and passenger vehicles, as well as hazardous and oversized vehicles, will be $12 CAD.
The U.S. ambassador expressed concern with the length of time it will take Canada to recoup its costs, and by extension, for Michigan to reap any financial benefit.
In an email statement sent to Global News, Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens said he remains confident the bridge will open, pointing to the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority’s continued guidance of a spring launch.
“Our side is ready,” Dilkens said. “Ambassador Hoekstra has indicated the final terms between Canada and the U.S. have yet to be reached, but he has also said he believes it will get worked out.”
Dilkens added he is hopeful the bridge will open in May, saying Windsor “has waited long enough.”
He also pushed back on the idea of renegotiating terms, saying an agreement reached more than a decade ago remains “fair and reasonable.”
“There is no need for a new agreement because an agreement is already in place,” Dilkens said, adding that reopening negotiations creates uncertainty for businesses and workers who rely on the cross-border corridor.
Dilkens also defended the planned toll structure, saying residents would welcome lower costs compared with the existing Ambassador Bridge.
While Windsor officials have said the agreement is fair, the city is also seeking additional federal support for community organizations affected by delays.
On April 27, city council passed a motion from Coun. Fred Francis, requesting staff send letters to the federal government asking for increased financial assistance.
He said as a result of delays in the bridge’s opening, neighbourhoods have had to deal with continued disruptions.
“In the past, our community has been fortunate to get community grants as a result of the bridge, hosting the bridge and dealing with the impacts of the building, the delays, and obviously there’s been a significant delay now,” Francis said in council.
Dilkens said while the city has not been directly impacted in some ways, repeated delays create uncertainty that affects growth.
“Every month of delay is a month of opportunity lost,” he said, adding the project is expected to transform trade and supply chain efficiency across the region.
The Gordie Howe International Bridge Community Benefits Plan was developed to provide funding for infrastructure, workforce development and community organization investment since construction began.
Community organizations have been able to apply annually for amounts ranging from $1,000 to $25,000 CAD for funding for events, programming and infrastructure improvements.
According to the Community Benefits Fall 2025 report, more than 290 local businesses have engaged on the project and more than $9.1 million was spent on small-scale purchases under $25,000 from local businesses.
The bridge was initially slated to open in the fall of 2025, but delays pushed that opening to 2026. The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority has said the bridge is expected to open this spring but has yet to give an official date.
But Dougy Ford has yet to pipe up with his 2 pennies, he should start flapping his gums pretty soon if past performance is any indicator. I love being a keyboard warrior lol.
tired of correcting. my fingers are too big fur the phone key board so sorry for that. i dont support pp im a separatist. but if we lose then ill support any western party no more cons for me. cons libs sane thing.gooo carney
No specifying where the bridge came in over budget.Can.side? US side? both? An 8 year project of this scale in N. America usually are. If you want want within budget OR under and way ahead of time hire the Chinese(like the Alexander Hamilton bridge in N.Y.)
Hoekstra is just lip service for the orange one.
Central and Eastern Canadians whining all the time. In reality, the USA needs very little from Ontario and Quebec.
Be more like Alberta and SK. They understand this is a business relationship with mutual interests. Enough of this “friend” stuff. Canada has been freeloading of the USA for decades and now it is time to pay up. The free ride is over
Carney is a spineless, weak leader.
Are PP’s pizzers going to cry about this too and blame Carney? Yup. They’re that bright.
Clownvoyers can try to block this bridge. lolololol…
Smith voters not welcome outside redneckville.
@ Pete: You two tears old and a PP voter? “:yiu’? “build for built””, “fir” for for.
A clownvoy trucker has tried to communicate.
Drive your rig to Ottawa again. bewahahahahaha….
Talks were finished and then brainiac don came along. He probably wants it named after himself.
you know relations are bad when yiu cant even open a newly canadian build and paid fir bridge. goooo carney
USA calls the shoots with Canada. Carney is subservient to POTUS Trump.
Hoekstra said the major holdup is that the project came in “massively over budget.”
Sure, that explains perfectly why Trump wanted to steal half of it.
It must be hard coming up with excuses for Trump’s naked greed.
Don’t worry about the bridge, we will still give you Conservative trolls a place to live.
Bahahaha losers
Hoekstra, and all you loser Cuntservatives can eat my Liberal ass.
We won again, CARNEY is the best PM we have ever had.
Elbows Up Carney and his group of cronies have poisoned the relationship with the USA.
Liberals have dropped the ball again. What is new.
So they didn’t pay anything for it but are whining about this. Unbelieveable how the US is grifting and making a big deal and difficult about absolutely everything for no real reason at all. This one is just about the billionaire that owns the other bridge doesn’t like that others will get toll money.
If Trump does not want to honor the agreement made in 2012 then Canada should resond by closing the Welland Canal to US ships.
US freighters can go over Niagara Falls until Trump allows the bridge to open.
Elbows Up Carney is a horrible negotiator. An arrogant banker with no skill sets with leadership.
and you know who Trump works for the exisiting bridge which is ‘competition’ is owne by POWERFUL ‘republican’ member and funds the republican pary fund raisers. it makes billions in profits for gov’t protection in their racket like walls street where they want the fed gov’t to give them free money and ‘forced ‘ to buy ponz crypto and donald coins. okay
who pays to cross a bridge? the land and river and air is owned by the public.
most people didn’t know the existing bridge was a ‘privately’ owned bridge Only in america would the gov’t PRIVATIZED a ‘bridge’ that the public needs or privatize the prisons and privatized the military and even privatized the gov’t okay this publicly funded and owned bridge is gov’t funded and some call it ‘communism’ what is communism is politicians pension funds paid by the ‘public.
They should have called it “a bridge to nowhere”, much nicer and 100% more accurate than Gordie Howe.
Canada built it for no reason whatsoever and at least 20 years too late. It’s an international bridge, they should have talked and sign some sort of an agreement on the federal level, not just with Michigan.
The Canadian government built something and its massively over budget? Really, who would have thought.
Just like Trump… Canada built and paid for the bridge. All the revenue should go to Canada. But we are nice neighbours and are willing to share revenue once the bridge is paid for – so the US gets revenue for free. Trump is insisting he gets his ‘share’ of our gift now. – talk about arrogance and greed. He should be happy to have such nice neighbours.