Advertisement

Lint trap causes fire in Cole Harbour apartment building

A fire erupted in this Cole Harbour apartment buildings around 1:30 a.m. on Friday.
A fire erupted in this Cole Harbour apartment buildings around 1:30 a.m. on Friday. Ray Bradshaw / Global News

HALIFAX – A fire in a laundry room in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia caused the evacuation of an apartment building.

On Friday at 1:30 a.m., Halifax Regional Fire Services responded to a report of alarms ringing at 949 Cole Harbour Road. While firefighters were en route, the call was upgraded to a structure fire, said Division Commander Mike Blackburn. When the four fire engines arrived there was smoke coming from the basement in the Belmont Court apartment complex.

A sprinkler was activated in the laundry room, which put out the fire, said Blackburn.

“Crews made entry, finished extinguishing the fire in the 16 unit, four level apartment building,” he said.

After all the units were evacuated,  the 13 firefighters checked the building for air quality.

“Because the sprinkler had activated we had an excessive amount of water on the first floor [and] in the basement,” said Blackburn. “There was one tenant that was able to return to the basement level. However everyone else was displaced for the evening.”
Story continues below advertisement

Tenants living on the first to third floors returned to their apartments after the smoke was cleared. There were no injuries. Blackburn said the fire was contained to the laundry room and their investigation is complete. The full lint trap was the culprit.

Blackburn said it’s a word to the wise on fire prevention.

“You want to ensure that you do clean the lint out of your dryer and make sure that if you do have an exterior dryer vent that it is clean at all times,” he said.