“There was absolutely no basis for the statement I made about Mr. Dale taking pictures of children, or for any insinuation I made,” Ford’s latest apology reads. “I should not have said what I did and I wholly retract my statements and apologize to Mr. Dale without reservation for what I said.”
Dale said he accepts the mayor’s apology.
I sincerely appreciate Mayor Ford’s complete retraction and unqualified apology, and I’m very glad the truth is no longer in dispute.
During the pre-recorded interview with Black, broadcast last week on Vision TV, Ford was asked to comment on the “most offensive events, or abrasions” he’s experienced with journalists.
Ford referenced an incident during which Dale was near Ford’s property in May, 2012 for a story about a piece of park the mayor wanted to buy. The mayor has referenced Dale being “in his backyard;” Dale has said repeatedly he was in fact in a public park.
Dale was “taking photos of little kids,” Ford said during the interview with Black. “I don’t want to say that word, but you start thinking ‘What’s this guy all about?’”
“This recollection of the incident is inaccurate,” Ford’s latest letter reads. “I never saw Mr. Dale standing on bricks or cinderblocks, never saw
Mr. Dale looking over my fence and never saw Mr. Dale taking any pictures. There is no basis for saying as I did on December 17 and in the past that Mr. Dale was ‘lurking’ or ‘leering’ near or over my fence. … There was no basis for me to say that Mr. Dale was ever in my backyard or on my property.”
Story continues below advertisement
Dale had said as much multiple times since the incident May 12, and said police investigations backed him up.
But days after his interview with Black, Ford had said he stands by “every word.”