Fire breaks out at collapsed factory in Bangladesh, 3 rescuers injured
SAVAR, Bangladesh – A fire has broken out in the wreckage of the garment factory that collapsed last week in Bangladesh, with smoke pouring from the piles of shattered concrete and some rescue efforts forced to stop.
Officials say the fire broke out because of sparks generated as rescuers tried to cut through a steel rod to reach a survivor. Firefighters are trying to bring the fire under control.
Rescuers have retreated from the part of the wreckage where the fire was located, but were still trying to reach survivors in other parts of the destroyed eight-story building.
Officials say at least three rescue workers have been injured in the fire.
© 2013 The Associated Press