February 10, 2016 8:30 am
Updated: February 10, 2016 9:29 am

No plans to raze La Loche school where deadly shooting took place: Wall

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall says it’s unlikely La Loche high school, the site of a deadly shooting last month, will be torn down.

THE CANADIAN PRESS / ho-Kayoty-Wikipedia
A A

REGINA – Premier Brad Wall is suggesting it’s unlikely that a northern Saskatchewan high school where two people were shot to death will be torn down. Wall says there are no immediate plans to demolish the school in La Loche but adds the final decision is up to the school division.

The Northern Lights School Division has said Feb. 22 is the earliest the La Loche high school could reopen.

A teacher and an aide were killed and seven others hurt in a shooting at the school last month.

Two brothers were also killed at a nearby home.

FULL COVERAGE: La Loche school shooting

La Loche interim mayor Kevin Janvier and others have suggested the school needs to be torn down and rebuilt before the community can move forward.

The premier also says he updated Prime Minister Justin Trudeau yesterday on issues in La Loche, such as school safety and counselling, the possibility of teaching trades and community development.

Global News

© 2016 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Global News