February 4, 2016 6:10 pm

Seniors’ pharmacare changes being re-assessed: Stephen McNeil


Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil says his government is re-assessing controversial changes to a seniors drug plan after hearing concerns from seniors and advocacy groups.

McNeil says his government is open to addressing the concerns about the revamped program.

READ MORE: 2,000 more seniors will pay a premium under new N.S. pharmacare program

He also conceded that a letter to seniors outlining the changes to the program was inappropriate and didn’t convey the changes accurately.

The Nova Scotia Health Coalition has complained to the Ombudsman’s office over the Health Department’s poor communication about the program changes.

Pharmacare is based on a blend of government contributions and premiums charged to seniors, which under the new system will be based on the incomes of single people and couples.

The province has said under the revised system, 12,000 seniors who previously paid a premium won’t pay one beginning April 1, while wealthier seniors will see their payments rise.

Global News

© 2016 The Canadian Press

Report an error


Global News