New code of conduct aimed at improving safety on Winnipeg transit
WINNIPEG — A new Transit Code of Conduct will be rolled out Monday, kicking off a new safety initiative aimed at keeping bus drivers and riders safe. New decals and signs will be reminding passengers of the consequences of threatening or assaulting transit operators.
“The goal of this public education campaign is to improve the safety and security of Transit employees and customers,” said Dave Wardrop, Director, Winnipeg Transit. “We are pleased to work with Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1505 in the development of this initiative. Together we are committed to the delivery of affordable, reliable, and safe Transit service for Winnipeggers and visitors to our city.”
The Transit Code of Conduct was created to encourage appropriate behaviour and conduct while using Transit services. It includes guidelines such as:
- Threats or assaults will not be tolerated;
- Riders must pay applicable fare and comply with all fare terms and conditions:
- Do not cross the safety line near the front of the vehicle while the vehicle is in motion;
- No smoking, littering, spitting, vandalism, or graffiti;
- No consumption of alcohol, illegal drugs or inhalation of solvents;
- Do not disturb, annoy or interfere with any other person, includes loud, foul, insulting, abusive or inappropriate language
The entire code of conduct can be found here.
© 2016 Shaw Media