10 fun facts about elite tower runner Tim Young
He’s known at the University of Alberta as the HUB Mall runner. Tim Young is a webmaster at the university, but most people know him because he runs everywhere he goes.
But, there’s a purpose to his high-paced activities. For the past 20 years, Young has been training to be a tower racer.
Here are some fun facts about Young and his running ways:
1. Tim runs up and down the stairs in the Tory Building every day during his lunch break. He also runs during his 15-minute coffee breaks as well.
2. Tim runs up the main stairs of the Tory Building and down the back stairs. He aims to do that at least 15 times during the lunch hour.
3. Tim runs to the 14th floor of the Tory Building, then up an extra spiral staircase to the door that leads to the roof.
4. Tim used to be shy about running past people in the hallways, but he says people at the university have embraced him and support him so he is not shy anymore.
5. Tim has been a vegan for 14 years and says his diet is key to his success.
6. Tim says he often runs with his eyes closed.
7. Tim wears shoes that are actually made for water sports. They have little support, they almost look like a glove for his feet. (Vibram FiveFingers Signa Shoes)
8. In the summer he rides his bike to work. In the winter, he skis.
9. Tim will be riding in the Leduc/Camrose MS Bike Tour for the fifth time this summer. His registered team is called stalwart.ca and he welcomes anyone to join.
10. Tim first started running stairs to help him train for figure skating.
© 2016 Shaw Media