Three homes destroyed in Francis, Sask. fire
FRANCIS, Sask. – An early morning fire in the town of Francis, Saskatchewan has left several people without a home.
Volunteer firefighters received a call around 3:45 a.m. Tuesday that a trailer at 107 Francis Street was engulfed in flames. By the time fire crews arrived the blaze had already begun to spread to other homes in the area.
Lorna Muhr is a volunteer firefighter and also a family friend of the people living inside the trailer.
She said the pair were lucky to have gotten out before the trailer was completely engulfed in flames.
“They have now gone to Regina, they escaped with no clothing,” she explained. “Literally, no clothing.”
The fire spread to, and completely destroyed, a home south of the trailer, and also spread to a house north of the trailer. Crews were able to get that fire under control but the house suffered considerable damage.
“Flames were high and it was hot,” said the town’s fire chief, Cliff Knoll. “We couldn’t get in between because a power line had fallen in there, sparks were flying, and also a gas line had ruptured in there.”
No one was injured in the blaze and a few of the families that were left without a place to stay are now staying with relatives in the community.
Even those not directly impacted are feeling the loss.
“This house used to be the one we raised in,” said Muhr. “It’s kind of hitting home, I know it’s material things but they still have memories.”
Firefighters from Francis, Sedley and Odessa were on hand and a number of neighboring farmers with water trucks also jumped to action to try and control the fire.
Residents have set up a fundraiser page for the victims of the fire which can be found by clicking here.