IN THE NEWS…
- Toronto mayor Rob Ford is making it clear subways are his preferred method of transit for commuters across the city by revealing an extensive underground expansion plan as a main campaign platform for his re-election bid. A power point presentation leaked on Ford’s website late Tuesday night ahead of his planned announcement on Wednesday morning shows a rapid transit vision that would see 32 kilometres of new subways built across the city at a cost of $9 billion.
- Ottawa police are denying a report that National Hockey League superstar Sidney Crosby was arrested in the nation’s capital late Tuesday night. Ottawa police tell Global News they “do not have him” after a QMI Agency reportedthe Pittsburgh Penguins forward was taken into custody while driving a rented Porsche.
- John Tory’s campaign to be Toronto’s next mayor is gaining momentum according to a new poll that says he would capture the support of 42 per cent of decided voters if the election were called right now. The Nanos Research poll currently places Rob Ford at second with 28 per cent, Olivia Chow at 26 per cent, and David Soknacki at 3 per cent.
- Some of the investors in a failed North York condo deal will be getting their money back after a court ruling Tuesday. A total of $9-million that was held in a trust account will soon be expedited to those who made condo down payments in the failed deal.
- Sports-related concussions in children and youth constitute a significant public health issue which requires serious reform in public policy to address the harm associated with them, a new Canadian paper argues.
Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this afternoon. High 27. UV index 7 or high.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.
© Shaw Media, 2014