OTTAWA – The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning the public not to consume a batch of L’Alpette brand cheese because it may contain a toxin produced by Staphylococcus bacteria.
The agency says the soft, ripened sheep cheese was sold in Ontario and Quebec in 160 gram packs with a best before date of Oct. 31.
Food contaminated with Staphylococcus toxin may not look or smell spoiled but could cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and fever if consumed.
In severe cases, headache, muscle cramping and changes in blood pressure and pulse rate may occur.
The cheese was produced by Quebec-based Ferme Floralpe Inc.
There have been no reported illnesses associated with consumption of the cheese.
© The Canadian Press, 2014