IN THE NEWS…
- Toronto city council will be meeting for the final time this week before the Oct. 27 municipal election. A full slate of issues have been scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.
- Ontario Provincial Police are investigating a deadly crash this morning near Caledonia. They say two people were killed when a tractor-trailer collided with a pickup truck on Highway 6.
- Federal politicians won’t be hitting the hustings until well into next year, but Justin Trudeau and the Liberals could be en route to upsetting Stephen Harper and the Conservatives. A new Ipsos Reid poll for Global News shows the Liberals would have the support of 38 per cent of decided voters compared to 31 per cent for the Conservatives.
- Burger King is in talks to buy Tim Hortons Inc. and form a new publicly listed company that would be based in Canada. They said in a statement Sunday night that Canada would be the largest market of the combined company.
- Officials are trying to determine the cause of a fire in Mississauga early Monday morning. The fire broke out inside a trash compactor near Dixie Road and Highway 401. Mississauga Fire arrived on scene and put out the flames around 6 a.m.
- The father of a black 18-year-old shot to death by a white police officer in Ferguson pleaded for a “day of silence” as he lays his son to rest Monday. The more than two weeks since Michael Brown’s death have been marked by nightly protests, some violent and chaotic, although tensions have eased in recent days.
A mix of sun and cloud. Becoming sunny this morning. Wind becoming south 20 km/h this afternoon. High 26. UV index 8 or very high.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.
© Shaw Media, 2014