IN THE NEWS…
- The Toronto Transit Commission board will be meeting today to discuss a controversial new report on plans to improve service to its riders. The report titled “Opportunities to Improve Transit Service in Toronto” lays out several recommendations to speed up commute times which include implementing all-door boarding and proof-of payment on streetcar routes as well as operating all routes all day across the city.
- The fares for using the new Union-Pearson Express airport link may be much higher than previously anticipated and at least one Toronto city councillor thinks they should be lowered.
- The National Guard arrived in Ferguson but kept its distance from the streets where protesters clashed again with police, as clouds of tear gas and smoke hung over the St. Louis suburb where an 18-year-old was fatally shot by a police officer.
- One person is dead after a crash involving a dump truck and a car in Brampton Monday night. The incident happened about 7 p.m. at Highway 50 and Fogal Road. The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene while the dump truck ended up on its side.
- The Transportation Safety Board of Canada is to release its final report today on the catastrophic train derailment in Lac-Megantic in 2013. The disaster claimed 47 lives, destroyed a swath of the community’s downtown and spewed millions of litres of crude oil into the environment.
Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this morning. High 23. UV index 7 or high.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.
© Shaw Media, 2014