KELOWNA, B.C. – The Central Okanagan Regional District has added to the list of Kelowna area parks closed due to extreme dry conditions.
The potential for serious fire is the reason given for the unprecedented move Friday afternoon.
The list grew Friday from closures announced at Dilworth Mountain Park and Mount Boucherie Regional Park.
These parks are closed until further notice:
• Hardy Falls Regional Park
• Trepanier Creek Greenway Regional Park
• Coldham Regional Park
• Kalamoir Regional Park
• Rose Valley Regional Park
• Stephens Coyote Regional Park
• Scenic Canyon Regional Park
• Mission Creek Greenway (Phase 2)
• Mission Creek Regional Park (Sutherland Hills area on the south side of Mission Creek only)
• Mill Creek Regional Park
“Extended forecasts predict continued high temperatures well into next week and that raises the potential danger of a serious fire,” says RDCO spokesperson Bruce Smith. “Many of these parks that are closed are in forested areas with challenging terrain and in close proximity to subdivisions and neighbourhoods.”
Smith says the closures are unfortunate but necessary and the District apologizes for any inconvenience. For parks that remain open and updates in the future check out the Regional District website.