IN THE NEWS…
- Only one lane of traffic is open on westbound Highway 401 east of Trafalgar Road following a multi-vehicle collision early Friday morning. Ontario Provincial Police say the crash involving three tractor trailers and two cars happened just before 2 a.m. and only minor injuries were reported. Officials say the cleanup is ongoing and they hope to have the remaining two lanes open during the morning rush hour.
- The World Health Organization on Friday declared theEbola outbreak in West Africa to be an international public health emergency that requires an extraordinary response to stop its spread. It is the largest and longest outbreak ever recorded of Ebola, which has a death rate of about 50 per cent and has so far killed at least 932 people. WHO declared similar emergencies for the swine flu pandemic in 2009 and for polio in May.
- A man is fighting for his life in hospital after he was hit by a streetcar on St. Clair Avenue early this morning. Police say the victim was crossing the street at Caledonia when the collision occurred. The force of the crash shattered the streetcar’s windshield.
- A settlement has finally been reached in the infamous Sunrise Propane explosion. The blast at the propane plant back in 2008 decimated a Downsview neighbourhood. The explosion in north Toronto killed a man and forced thousands from their homes, and a firefighter who responded to the emergency died of a heart attack.
- A portion of Danforth Avenue will be closed this weekend for the annual Taste of the Danforth event.
Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this afternoon. Hazy. High 25. UV index 7 or high.
More on current weather conditions and a 7-day forecast.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Mass Transit: Click for TTC and GO Transit Updates.
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.
Do you have any suggestions or additions for our Toronto morning roundup? Reach us via email at email@example.com, on Twitter or on Facebook.