UPDATE: Fire consumes Kelowna home
UPDATE: Fire officials have determined the blaze started from smoking materials. Investigators also say smoke alarms in the home were not working.
KELOWNA — An afternoon fire in Kelowna consumed a home on Merriland Road in Rutland. Crews got the call at about 12:05 p.m. Monday. When firefighters arrived on scene the home was fully engulfed.
“[The fire] was right up into the attic space in the roof when crews arrived,” says Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain, Dale Calhoun. Five people in their 20’s were inside when the fire sparked but all escaped the burning building. One man was treated for minor burns to hand and feet and was transported to Kelowna General Hospital.
“One person was on the couch sleeping and heard explosions from the furnace area,” says Calhoun, “so that’s a start on where we will get our investigating team to look.”
Quick action stopped the blaze from spreading to any neighbouring homes, but the residence is a complete write-off. Calhoun says home was a rental property and it’s believed the owner has insurance.