CALGARY- A massive fire broke out in southeast Calgary on Tuesday afternoon.
The blaze broke out in a home along Brightoncrest Heights around 1 p.m., completely engulfing one home. Fire crews immediately called in a second alarm, due to the amount of fire and smoke visible.
Two neighbouring homes were also badly damaged, and huge plumes of thick black smoke could be seen from kilometres away.
“The wind definitely takes the smoke,” says Carol Henke from the Calgary Fire Department. “Smoke from a house fire is very toxic and full of all sorts of chemicals, which is why we always wear personal protective equipment on scene.”
Only one of the homes had people in side at the time, and they all managed to get out safely. 16 other houses were evacuated as a precaution.
No injuries were reported.
So far there is no word what sparked the fire. A fundraising page has already been set up to help the families.